

I'm a survivor!!, this was my coldest experience ever!, I decided to go to the Winter Backpacking trip offered by the outdoor adventures program by UNCG to the Appalachian Trial... defenitely I thank God for being alive as I survived this cold. We arrived on Friday at 7:00pm and it was already cold when we arrived that I had to wear inmediately my gloves and jackets (6 layers), then we hicked about one hour to find the shelter there we installed the tents, that was a very cold night I woke up several times at nigth, 

as you can see in the picture it was so dark!! the stars looked just amazing in the sky!
The next morning we ate for breakfast this cuscus only with flowers, then we started the whole day hiking with all the equipment in the shoulders, (I feel this pain as I write), there were long walks with few stops


On saturday we set on fire as long as the weather allowed it cause it started to rain and to snow so hard it was imposible to keep the fire, so as it was so dark and we had nothing to do but to be cold we decided to sleep inside the tents it was only 8:00pm, inside I was wearing all my clothes, the huge jacket and I was inside my sleeping bag it was just nice at the beggining, not hot, just nice so it was easy to sleep after all day walking, but it was around 2:47am that I woke up hearing all this air and snow, our tent was moving and the snow was getting inside, but there was nothing I could do just to wait for the morning to leave! so I managed to get some more sleep, I remember that I dreamt with my nephew that we were playing and he was very happy so this kept me with hopes to continue living, and resist the whole night, when we woke uo there were about 4 inches of snow everywhere, everything was frozen! even my boots.. the staff came and told us there we had to leave skipping the breakfast, just pack everything in order to leave! everybody just wanted to be back in a warm place, so we packed everything and left as soon as we could but the van wasn't near so we had still to walk, when we started to walk it was about 8:00am in the morning the sun was above the gray clouds, it was a beautiful scenary we stareted walking but the roads weren't clear so we went back the first time.. after a long walk and some falls we arrive to the vans everyone was so happy to see the vans, just happy faces in that moment. Later when we arrived to a park office a man told us that that night we had been below 0 Farenheit (-20 C) and wind 60 miles per hour.... THIS WAS SO COLD!!!! Just as being at a huge freezer. So I'm glad I survived to tell it.





No comments:
Post a Comment